Join us July 6-9, 2015 as we head to downtown St. Louis to work with a great organization called LOVEtheLOU. We’ll help local churches, serve the homeless and work in several under-resourced communities to bring the love & hope of Jesus. Trip cost is $120. Email us at ChrisS@wschurch.org for more details or to register
All students entering 6-8th grades in for the 2015-16 school year are encouraged to join us at LSCA for summer camp on July 20-24, 2015. We’re hosting a special week just for West Side and using camp to kick off our brand new school year!
Early registration paid by May 1, 2015 ($185)
Final registration date is June 21, 2015 ($215)
You are not officially registered until paid. You can pay online when you register or you can turn in payment to the church office. As always, if money is keeping you from attending contact ChrisS@wschurch.org and we’ll help work out a way for you to attend.
After that, check @WSCCstudents on Instagram for updates of when and where we’ll meet.
The week of April Fools Day, Wednesday, April 1, each of our V-Groups are planning their own opportunities to serve and make a difference in our community. Jesus taught in a way that seemed foolish to the wisdom of the world and 1 Corinthians 1:25 says, “For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.” But we know that God’s plan is much bigger than that of the world so we’re going to embrace the foolishness and serve without looking to get anything for ourselves.
We will not be meeting at the church during our regular time that night. Instead, check the list below to make sure you know your group’s plans. If you’re not in a group or aren’t sure which is yours, contact Chris.
- 8th (Molly & Susan): Help in the WSCC office. Meet on the third floor. 6:30-8pm.
- 8th (Jenni, Twyla & Alanna): They will be serving on Saturday April 4 at the 3pm service for Easter.
- 8th (Hannah): We will meet at Walmart at 6:30pm and pick up at 8:00pm at McDonalds all off of Freedom. Bring $10. Creating encouragement baskets.
- All 7th Grade Girls: Drop off and pickup at the Oxley House (4831 Key West Lane). Bring $5 6-9pm. Make Dinner a family.
- 6th (Jessica & Katie) – POSTPONED – TBD
- 6th (Angela & Jenni) – Meet at Angela’s house (801 S. Douglas) to clean up in the park. 6-8pm.
- 6th (Missy & Brenda) – 5:30-7. Drop off and pick up at Inner City Missions. Girls have list of what to bring.
- All 8th Grade Boys – 6:30-7:30 meeting at Target to assist people in parking lot.
- All 7th Boys –Food Drive 6:30pm at WSCC’s café, bring lots of non-perishable food!
- 6th (Jim, Chris & Andrew) – Beach Party Blast. Drop off 2601 Motvale Dr. 6:15-7:30.
- 6th (PJ, Shane & Joey) – $5 in a jar. Bring $5. Meet at the Hub at 6:30.
- 5/13 – Worship Night with Jordan Howerton Band
- 5/31 – Giant Game Night
- 6/28 – Inside/Out Series Kickoff & Movie Day
- 7/6-9 – ST. LOUIS MISSION TRIP
- 7/12-18 – CIY MOVE CONFERENCE (8th graders)
- 7/20-24 – JR. HIGH CAMP (current 5-7th graders)
- 7/26 – YB Normal Welcome Dinner (current 5-7th)
- 7/29 – Freshman Night (8th)
- 8/2 – Promotion Sunday in Student Ministry
- 8/23 – State Fair Night
Look for more details to come soon but we wanted you to have all of these dates for your calendar ASAP!
On Wednesday, May 13 we’re welcoming one of our ministry’s favorite bands, the Jordan Howerton Band, to West Side to lead us in a special night of worship. JHB was our band at both CIY Believe and CIY MOVE last year and we’ve sung several of their songs in The Hub (Your Love is Like, We Are Free, etc). It’s a big deal that they’re coming to Springfield and we’re pumped to be hosting them!
Doors open at 6:30 and worship begins at 7:00. The concert is open to anyone but our V-Groups specifically are going to go together as a wrap up to our school year in groups together. Some groups may meet up beforehand so be sure you talk to your leader as the time gets closer.
Donations will be collected at the concert and all proceeds will go to help provide scholarship help to our students attending CIY MOVE this summer. (If you’re in 8th grade, make sure you check it out and signup today!)
- 3:30pm on Saturday, April 4
- 5:00pm on Saturday, April 4
- 7:30am traditional on Sunday, April 5
- 9:00am on Sunday, April 5
- 10:15am on Sunday, April 5
- 11:30am on Sunday, April 5
In addition to attending service with your family, we would love your help serving in children’s ministry as we prepare a great experience for EVERYONE’s children. Specifically, our Jr. High ministry is adopting the 3:30pm Saturday service. If you or your family are able to help us lead kids then email us and let us know.
Springfield Christian School and West Side are teaming up to host Axis, an organization committed to communicating with the next generation about faith, media, and technology. They specialize in events for both students and parents and we’re confident they will be sessions you’ll remember!
While they are here, the Axis team will host two evening sessions.
TUESDAY, MARCH 10 – 6:30-8:15PM IN THE HUB
Parents are invited to join us for a dynamic multimedia presentation called “Sex, College, Beer, Technology & Jesus: What Students Think About and Tools for Effective Family Discipleship”. Parents are appointed by God to be the primary educators of their children. In this session just for parents, we want to equip you with the information and tools you need to understand your students and educate them to think wisely about the ideas that are influencing them.
WEDNESDAY – 6:30-8:15PM, WORSHIP CENTER
This evening is for both parents and students! We’ll explore the trending ideas and messages of culture inundating students and impacting their beliefs. The Axis team will demonstrate the impact artists’ and celebrities’ messages have on us as they become our “friends.” This fun and engaging presentation will promote real friendship and the need for mentorship, while bringing adults and students together around the lifelong goal of discipleship.
Instead of our typical night of V-groups, we’re encouraging both parents and students to join us in the worship center at 6:30 for the presentation. Following the presentation, we’ll break into groups for some additional discussion and to give parents an opportunity to meet Jr. High group leaders.
We’re gearing up for another great night to bring your friends! On Wednesday, February 25 from 6:30-8:00 the Hub is transforming into a Nacho Extravaganza. We’re planning for pools full of cheese, a crazy topping bar and even a nacho pinata!
It’s going to be a night to remember so grab some invite cards from the Hub. Then bring as many of your friends as you can and come hungry!