In a world where students are bombarded with false messages about love and sex every day, it is vital that they hear the truth about God’s plan. This Sunday, April 12 we will begin a new three week series in The Hub called Blurred Lines. During the series we’ll cover three big questions:
- God’s Plan for Sex & Dating – How far is too far? Who can I date? When is it OK to date?
- The Friendzone – How do I begin to develop healthy relationships in all areas of my life now?
- Complete Purity – How do we take God’s call to sexual purity beyond just not having sex before marriage but make it a way of life to avoid lust, etc?
Parents: Obviously this series will address topics a little more sensitive than an average Sunday. They will all be Jr. High age appropriate but if parents have questions or concerns they are free to contact ChrisS@wschurch.org. If you feel your student isn’t ready to hear this material they are welcome to attend adult worship with you instead during the series.
As always, if you’re curious about what students are learning, you can always download our podcast and hear for yourself. (Note: Some podcast messages may be the high school version of the message.)
Parents are encouraged to come Wednesday, April 29 from 7:00pm to 8:00pm in The Hub. We’ve invited Chris Sandel (Family Ministries Director) and Josh LeVeque (IT Director) to follow up on our recent AXIS Parent Night by sharing some practical advice for guiding your child through a world of cell phones and social media. Free childcare is available but space is limited so RSVP for childcare here ASAP if needed.
If you’re not already, make sure you follow us on Twitter & Instagram. It’s a great way to get a glimpse of what our students are up to and also stay current with upcoming trips & events. We’re updating much more regularly now so you don’t want to miss out!
You can also like West Side Velocity on Facebook for additional pictures and other Jr. High specific Facebook goodness!
Join us July 6-9, 2015 as we head to downtown St. Louis to work with a great organization called LOVEtheLOU. We’ll help local churches, serve the homeless and work in several under-resourced communities to bring the love & hope of Jesus. Trip cost is $120. Email us at ChrisS@wschurch.org for more details or to register
Our first location will be Tuesday, April 14 at the Sonic on Iles from 3:45-5:00. Meet us after school to hang out and grab some grub!
After that, check @WSCCstudents on Instagram for updates of when and where we’ll meet.
Whether you were able to join us at CIY Believe this past weekend or not, make sure you check out all of our pictures online! See the best of the weekend on our Flickr page or check out our post on Facebook at our West Side Velocity page.
The week of April Fools Day, Wednesday, April 1, each of our V-Groups are planning their own opportunities to serve and make a difference in our community. Jesus taught in a way that seemed foolish to the wisdom of the world and 1 Corinthians 1:25 says, “For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.” But we know that God’s plan is much bigger than that of the world so we’re going to embrace the foolishness and serve without looking to get anything for ourselves.
We will not be meeting at the church during our regular time that night. Instead, check the list below to make sure you know your group’s plans. If you’re not in a group or aren’t sure which is yours, contact Chris.
- 8th (Molly & Susan): Help in the WSCC office. Meet on the third floor. 6:30-8pm.
- 8th (Jenni, Twyla & Alanna): They will be serving on Saturday April 4 at the 3pm service for Easter.
- 8th (Hannah): We will meet at Walmart at 6:30pm and pick up at 8:00pm at McDonalds all off of Freedom. Bring $10. Creating encouragement baskets.
- All 7th Grade Girls: Drop off and pickup at the Oxley House (4831 Key West Lane). Bring $5 6-9pm. Make Dinner a family.
- 6th (Jessica & Katie) – POSTPONED – TBD
- 6th (Angela & Jenni) – Meet at Angela’s house (801 S. Douglas) to clean up in the park. 6-8pm.
- 6th (Missy & Brenda) – 5:30-7. Drop off and pick up at Inner City Missions. Girls have list of what to bring.
- All 8th Grade Boys – 6:30-7:30 meeting at Target to assist people in parking lot.
- All 7th Boys –Food Drive 6:30pm at WSCC’s café, bring lots of non-perishable food!
- 6th (Jim, Chris & Andrew) – Beach Party Blast. Drop off 2601 Motvale Dr. 6:15-7:30.
- 6th (PJ, Shane & Joey) – $5 in a jar. Bring $5. Meet at the Hub at 6:30.
We’ve got some big things planned this summer and we want to be sure you have it all on your radar. Check it all out below and mark the dates on your summer calendar!
- 5/13 – Worship Night with Jordan Howerton Band
- 5/31 – Giant Game Night
- 6/28 – Inside/Out Series Kickoff & Movie Day
- 7/6-9 – ST. LOUIS MISSION TRIP
- 7/12-18 – CIY MOVE CONFERENCE (8th graders)
- 7/20-24 – JR. HIGH CAMP (current 5-7th graders)
- 7/26 – YB Normal Welcome Dinner (current 5-7th)
- 7/29 – Freshman Night (8th)
- 8/2 – Promotion Sunday in Student Ministry
- 8/23 – State Fair Night
Look for more details to come soon but we wanted you to have all of these dates for your calendar ASAP!
On Wednesday, May 13 we’re welcoming one of our ministry’s favorite bands, the Jordan Howerton Band, to West Side to lead us in a special night of worship. JHB was our band at both CIY Believe and CIY MOVE last year and we’ve sung several of their songs in The Hub (Your Love is Like, We Are Free, etc). It’s a big deal that they’re coming to Springfield and we’re pumped to be hosting them!
Doors open at 6:30 and worship begins at 7:00. The concert is open to anyone but our V-Groups specifically are going to go together as a wrap up to our school year in groups together. Some groups may meet up beforehand so be sure you talk to your leader as the time gets closer.
Donations will be collected at the concert and all proceeds will go to help provide scholarship help to our students attending CIY MOVE this summer. (If you’re in 8th grade, make sure you check it out and signup today!)